Skincare Routine

 




I am a big fan of skincare products and body care products. I have had a very unbalanced relationship with my skin and it took me a while to get the right products to suit me. I have had to change a few things over the years, but have managed to stay in a steady and productive relationship, both with my skin and the products I use. Before we start let me just tell you that I am 43 years old now and started to use a lot of these products in my thirties. Over time my needs and my skins needs have changed, but I have just tried to adapt and adjust over time. Sharing the products that I use may help anyone who has similar issues / skin type. Having a product that works has really helped in my skin confidence.

Let's start at the top - scalp and hair. At this present time I have very short hair and have highlights every few months. I will admit that I did used to have dandruff and started to use Head & Shoulders over 10 years ago and that has helped keep it at bay. I still use Head & Shoulders every few washes. I suppose I may not need it now, but feel better having it there - it's a confidence thing. Over the past year or so I have noticed that my scalp does get greasy opposed to it being dry. Due to this I do was my hair everyday as if not it does not give me a good look, even though my hair is really short. Over the last 6 months I have been using the Aussie Blonde Hydration shampoo and conditioner (purple shampoo as my highlights are blonde/silver) and I have to say that I am really impressed with it. The conditioner is lovely and leaves my hair lovely and soft. When I bought the shampoo and conditioner a bottle of treatment conditioner was included. I don't normally buy separate treatments, but since it all came together I thought I would give it a go. I was certainly impressed after the first use. I put it on first on wet hair then leave it on for 5 minutes or so while I have a shower and then rinse it off. It leaves my hair brighter, looking and feeling healthier. I normally only use it once a week so it lasts a very long time. I am still using the first bottle from about 6 months ago. The shampoo and conditioner is normally priced from about £2.50 to £4 each, depending on where you purchase it from. To be honest I am not sure how much the treatment is as I bought it together with the shampoo and conditioner in a bundle for £12, but I will definitely be buying it again.

When styling my hair I don't have to really do too much. I no longer use hair straighteners or a hairdryer. I do use various clay products to style it. I am currently using the L'Oreal Matt Clay for men. I don't find too many clay products for women's styling, so I normally buy from the men's section. The pot I am using not cost me about £4 from Boot's and I have been using it now for about 6 months. I am starting to run out just now so it does last a long time. You only need a small amount for short hair, but wash your hands after - it does stay on your hands and becomes very sticky!

Onto the face and neck area. To be honest I have struggled for a few years with dry and tight skin and then over the last couple of years my skin became oily/combination. About 8-10 years ago, because my skin was very dry, I thought I needed something to help ease the dryness. At that point I had never exfoliated and just used to was my face with soap and use a little moisturiser, but none in particular; just whatever I could get at the time. Due to my face becoming really dry I was watching QVC one night and saw them advertising Liz Earle. I was not sure at first as the price was higher than anything that I had purchased before, but thought I would give it a go. I can honestly say that it was the best decision I ever made. I bought the Cleanse & Polish, Toner and Moisturiser. After using it and following the routine morning and night for a few days I could immediately see the difference and, no word of a lie, my skin felt so much calmer and smoother. I have never wavered from using it from the first day that used it. It is my go to on everyday. I have stopped using it in the morning and only use it at night now. My skin is more controlled and I don't feel I need to use it in the morning now. I tend to use Simple Hydration Moisturiser now instead of Liz Earle, as that is very light and works just as well, and to be honest it is a fraction of the price. I used the Liz Earle moisturiser until my skin became under control. You can purchase Liz Earle from a variety of places, including Boot's, but I would recommend purchasing from QVC as you can normally get it at a really good price and you can sometimes spread the cost over 3 months. 

One of the few things that I did do, which I found out to be a mistake, was purchase a serum. I bought the Gatineau serum after seeing rave reviews. I started using it, but after about a week or my skin started to become quite sore and I started to have quite a few breakouts, which I had not had for many years. Again, after watching QVC (there seems to be a theme here!!) I saw Australian Bodycare Skinwash with Tea Tree Oil. I thought I would give that a go as it stated that the bacterial properties could help with breakouts etc. It came in a one litre pump bottle and I started to use it as a wash morning and night. After I have cleansed my skin I would apply and then was off in the shower. This was another product that I found to be amazingly good. It quickly helped to calm my skin and helped stopped any new breakouts. I have used this religiously everyday, morning and night, since then. Once you get used to the tea tree oil smell, this is a product that you will never want to be without. The one litre bottle lasts at least 6 months or more and it is definitely my go to product.

I do use the Liz Earle facial oil as well which helps to balance my oily skin. I only use this about once a week. The bottle is only small, but you really need only one drop per use so the bottle can last you a long time! I just mix it in with my moisturiser. I do not use a separate neck cream, but just tend to use whichever moisturiser that I am using. I find this is sufficient.

Liz Earle is not the cheapest brand to buy but I do believe it is the well worth the money. You can normally get good deals online and, as I said before, if buying from somewhere like QVC you can normally pay in 3 installments. Australian Bodycare is not too badly priced actually and because the one litre bottles lasts such a long time it is not something you will be buying all the time.

When it comes to perfumes I am not overly keen on strong fragrances. I tend to go for light fragrances that are not overpowering. My favourite has to be Calvin Klein Eternity. I just love it and think that it is light, but not too much and lasts all day. I do tend to like a lot of perfumes from Avon. I think Avon have a very good range and extremely reasonable prices. One of my favourite is Perceive. It has quite a woody smell but softens up throughout the day and does last a long time. Another one is Rare Pearls. A very feminine fragrance and it just perks me up every time I use it. All the perfumes from Avon range from £5 upwards and I do think are well worth it for an everyday perfume.

Just a quick note on what deodorants I like to use and it would be Sure. I have bought many different ones, but the 48 hours Black & White is probably my favourite. The price is reasonable from about £1.50 upwards. I do shave my underarms and I tend to buy the Gilette razors as they have a moisturiser strip and it just makes me more comfortable.

When it comes to soaps and shower gels I have my favourites, just like everyone else probably has! The only soap we use in our house is the Dove Beauty Bar. So lovely and creamy and foams really well. It is also a good price; you can easily pick 2 bars up in Poundland for £1. As for shower gels I tend to try a few, but the ones that I really like is the Dove Nourishing and any by Nivea. They have wonderful fragrances and lather up really well. They also tend to help calm and nourish my wonderfully weird skin! As I will discuss below, my skin is dry, itchy and also oily so I look for something that can help with all of that! You can normally pick up the shower gels from £1 upwards, depending where you shop. When in the shower I also use body polishers and these can be purchased from 50p upwards, again depending where you shop. I prefer a body polisher to a sponge as I can lather up the soap/shower gel more. I just find it easier.

Now when it comes to lotions and potions for the rest of my body I have gone through many, rejected many and loved a few! My skin on my body is all a little different. I have very dry and itchy skin on the tops of my legs and thighs. My calves and shins are dry and my stomach and back can be oily. My arms can get dry and itchy. Finding something that could deal with all of that has been difficult, to say the least. Avon do have some nice body creams and lotions, but they suit my legs and arms best on my dry skin. I have tried a lot from Avon, including the cocoa lotion and lavender soothing. They are nice and are good on my dry skin. I did buy E45 lotion about 2 months ago as I was having problems with my back and was coming out in rashes. The E45 did not help this problem at all and actually made it worse. The only thing that helped clear this and is great for all of my body is Aveeno Sensitive Skin Lotion. This is an absolute dream and just keeps my skin so soft, clears any issues whether with dry skin or oily skin and is definitely my helping hand!! It sells for about £8 per bottle and comes in a pump bottle, which is good, but you can find it cheaper elsewhere. I recently bought some from Look Fantastic for just over £5 per bottle. One of things I have found that really works better than most brands is the Avon Skin So Soft Enhance & Glow. I use it on my legs as I have very pale skin and it just gives a slight glow and light colour even after the first use. It doesn't streak either which I love. I did use the Dove Gradual Glow, but found that it would streak easily and it was very thick. The Avon version is lighter in consistency and I find easier to apply. I think it is priced from £2 upwards, depending if it is on offer, for a 500ml bottle, which I think is very good value for money.

I just tend to use whatever body cream or lotion I am using at the time on my feet, just in smaller quantities to soften them up and keep them supple. I do buff and polish the hard skin every week as well.

When it come to hands I have used a multitude of different hand creams including L'Occitane, L'Oreal, Avon etc. At the moment I am currently using Neutrogena hand cream (the concentrated one). This is really good, but you do not need a lot otherwise your hands do become a little sticky, but it leaves them extremely soft. For nails I use a Leighton Denny nail file. Cost me about £17 but I have to be honest and say it is the best nail file I have ever bought. I also use the Sally Hanson Clear Nail Varnish to help strengthen my nails. I don't have fabulous nails, but this helps them to become stronger and actually looks nice with the shimmer it gives off when applied.

Lastly I do use an epilator on my legs. I did shave them for many years, but invested in a Braun epilator, which after you have got used to using it a couple of times, is well worth the investment. I normally use this once a week and it has been brilliant.

So there we have it; my skincare routine. I am sure that I have probably missed something out, but hopefully I have captured most things!! I have not included make up here, but that will be a whole different conversation!!

Having the right products that do the right job can help to give us the confidence to get on with our daily lives and achieve what we want to achieve. I know that some may say that this is not everything, and you are probably right, but if the steps we choose to make ourselves feel good gives us that lift and boost then it can also help to put us on the right path to a more confident future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grateful